How to clean a drain
The tell-tale sign that your drain is blocked is that water is draining away very slowly, or that it has started omitting an unpleasant odour. Whether the drain is in your sink, shower or bathtub, it can be frustrating to say the least.
Unfortunately, it usually means there’s a problem hiding in the pipes. Don’t despair though as we’ve got some tips and tricks you can use to clear a blocked drain before you need to call out a plumber. To get started, you’ll need:
- Rubber gloves
- Drain cleaner
- Harpic Drain Cleaner
One of the best ways to keep the sink drain clear is by removing visible hair and debris straight away. Applying drain cleaner regularly will also help keep the pipes clear and the water flowing away from the house.
Hair, left over residue from hygiene products and all sorts of other things can find themselves stuck in your drainpipe. This stage of the cleaning process can get messy, especially if there is a lot of water already in the sink, so keep spare, old towels near to hand. Follow the instructions below to clean a blocked sink:
- Remove any visible hair or debris that may be wrapped around the plug hole.
- If cleaning the trap doesn’t clear up the clog, use the plunger to try and remove it. Place the plunger over drain hole, ensuring it is sealed, and plunge up and down quickly for around 30-seconds.
- Always follow the instructions on the pack. Pour a dose of drain cleaner down the pipe and wait the allotted time.
- Run the hot water tap so water flows down the drain, washing the cleaner down with it.
- Repeat the steps above if necessary.
If your drain still hasn’t unclogged, or you find yourself frequently trying to unclog it, seek professional help from a qualified plumber. You don’t want to cause more damage in the process of trying to unclog a drain.
Clearing your drain often doesn’t pop up on the chore list until it becomes a problem but incorporating it into your monthly deep clean – regardless of whether you’ve been having issues with your drain – can prevent any wasted hours or money later on. With the right tools and a good cleaning regime, you shouldn’t have to worry about trouble in your drainpipes.
We're here to guide you
Harpic can help you find solutions to all your toilet problems and questions...